Tuesday, June 15, 2010

On Praying

(2 Corinthians 12:10) ...For when I am weak, then I am strong.

As a pastor I am expected to be more or less articulate - particularly in the pulpit or when teaching a class or giving counsel. It is important that I be able to communicate clearly.

It seems to me, however, that in my private prayer life this is turned upside down. When I am most intense in prayer - when I am most desperate for God's intervention - at those points I am most inarticulate. I get to the point where the best I can do is to say, "O Lord, HELP!"

If anyone ever reads my prayer journals, I am sure they will be unimpressed by what is written down. But the most significant parts of my prayer life are where the page goes blank, the ink is blotted, the paper is stained and salty.

Praise God that He doesn't require articulate speeches in prayer - or good grammar. He knows our hearts. He wants us to throw ourselves on Him.
(Romans 8:26–27) ¶ Likewise the Spirit also helps in our weaknesses. For we do not know what we should pray for as we ought, but the Spirit Himself makes intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.
27 Now He who searches the hearts knows what the mind of the Spirit is, because He makes intercession for the saints according to the will of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment