Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Humility Meter?

(1 Peter 5:5 NKJV) ¶ Likewise you younger people, submit yourselves to your elders. Yes, all of you be submissive to one another, and be clothed with humility, for “God resists the proud, But gives grace to the humble.”
Most people are proud of how humble they are.  I thought I would try to come up with some indicators of pride.  See if you can see yourself in any of these.  (If you only see other people in this list, I have some bad news for you...)
  1. I talk more than I listen.
  2. I talk about myself.
  3. I always try to top other people's stories.
  4. I don't ask for directions.
  5. I don't ask for help.
  6. I get extremely upset when I make mistakes.
  7. I seek praise through belittling myself.
  8. I don't pray.
  9. I have outbursts of wrath.
  10. I carry a grudge.
  11. I'm unforgiving.
  12. I'm bitter.
  13. I resent direction from others.
  14. I resent authority.
  15. I am bugged by experts who disagree with me.
  16. I accuse others of arrogance.
  17. I am impatient with people.
  18. I'd rather do something myself than teach someone to do it.
  19. I'm never completely satisfied with my work.
  20. I'm never satisfied with other people's work.
  21. I believe some jobs are beneath me.
  22. I can't stand people who are better than I at what I do.
  23. I believe I am better than people who are different from me.
  24. I treat service people rudely - waiters, waitresses, counter workers, check out clerks.
  25. I am stingy with praise.
  26. I am quick to criticize.
  27. I feel under-appreciated.
  28. I am quick to excuse my own sins.
  29. I am patronizing.
  30. I am condescending.
  31. I take other people for granted.
  32. I expect people to defer to me.
  33. I rage against the sins of others.
  34. I mock people from other cultures.
  35. I think my own culture is the apex.
  36. I have no sympathy for the down and out.
Pride is our default setting.  Salvation by Grace is the great leveler.  We have no good thing in ourselves.  We have no ability to save ourselves from God's justice against our sins.  We are completely dependent on the Grace and Mercy of God.  How, then, can we continue in our prideful ways?
(Philippians 2:3–4 NKJV) Let nothing be done through selfish ambition or conceit, but in lowliness of mind let each esteem others better than himself.
4 Let each of you look out not only for his own interests, but also for the interests of others.

3 comments:

  1. Well, there's nothing like 36 slaps to getcha going on a fine Wednesday morning! Thanks Dad! For fun...I think I'm going to try to write out the reverse of these...

    Between You and C.J. Mahaney's book I'm feeling battered, in a good way...I guess!

    ReplyDelete
  2. (1 Corinthians 13:4–5 NKJV) ¶ Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up;
    5 does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks no evil;

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was glad to come across your thoughts on pride. Unfortunately, I do see myself in several of those sentences. I'll be spending some time reading them again and working on them. Thanks....

    ReplyDelete