Friday, April 3, 2009

The Fear of God

(Psalms 111:10) The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom; all who follow his precepts have good understanding. To him belongs eternal praise.
I have often pointed out that people who have rejected belief in God have no meaning, purpose or moral absolutes in their lives. This is why our news is full of crime and brutality. It is the wave of the present.

So what is the positive side?

Our God is the Holy Creator of all things - the Judge of all the earth. He is the measure of all things and the One Who will call all men to an accounting. He is just! He is pure! He is gracious!

Praise God that He is also merciful! He sends His rain on the just and the unjust. He is long-suffering - extending lives and delaying the day of judgment.

He has not hidden Himself. He reveals Himself in the wonders of His creation. He has revealed Himself in flesh through Jesus Christ. He has revealed Himself through inspired scripture... His very words.

In Him we have the value of meaning - as God's creation, made in His Own image.
In Him we have purpose - to glorify God through obedience and righteousness.
He is Himself our moral absolute - what is in harmony with His character is good.
In Him we have hope - that in Christ we have salvation from sin and the promise of eternal life.

(Psalms 111:10) The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom; all who follow his precepts have good understanding. To him belongs eternal praise.
We spend too much time worried about ourselves. How do I feel? Am I as happy as I can be? What is bothering me? What new thing do I want that might make me happier? Why are people bothering me? What's wrong with them? What's wrong with me?

You get the idea.

What about God's happiness? How does God feel? What can I do that will please Him? What about giving myself to His purposes for my life - heart and soul? How about being controlled by what God thinks, rather than how I feel?

No comments:

Post a Comment