Thursday, April 2, 2009

Today or Tomorrow

(James 4:13-15) Come now, you who say, “Today or tomorrow, we shall go to such and such a city, and spend a year there and engage in business and make a profit.”
14 Yet you do not know what your life will be like tomorrow. You are just a vapor that appears for a little while and then vanishes away.
15 Instead, you ought to say, “If the Lord wills, we shall live and also do this or that.”

We have our plans... but what do we know?

On Monday I had a long list of things to do, but more important matters came up and the list had to be postponed while I visited with various people. God first. People second. Paper only last.

On Tuesday I did what I normally do on Tuesday - but I still didn't get Monday's list finished.

On Wednesday I had the list ready, plus the list for Wednesday, but I was tied up all morning by the disconcerting business of trying to get things sorted out so I can file my taxes. (Yes, these are the tax returns that are due in 13 days... the ones I was going to do in January this year... those taxes.) So far, I can't move ahead because of some confusion. I am frustrated. I am anxious. I am distracted. There went Wednesday morning and part of Wednesday afternoon.

Today is deadline day and I have a meeting tonight, but before I can get to the study - I need to go to town for an item I need my son's help unloading from my truck. I didn't plan it this way, but this is the way it is.

My list is made out. I know what I need to do today. I have everything on the list prioritized so that I will do the important things first. But will I really get these things done?

God knows. And God is not worried about it, so why should I be?

If God wants me to get these things done today - they will be done today. I will do my best. I will be obedient. I will work hard. Let God's will be done.

If God has other plans for me - that will be just as good as getting that list completed - and even better. God's plans are always best.

Obedience and humble submission will keep me calm.

1 comment:

  1. Well I probably wasn't on your list per se but I truly have delighted in our conversations this week...while you drove hither and yon. Ya think God knew I needed to talk to my Daddy?

    ReplyDelete