Saturday, November 3, 2007

Carefree For God's Glory

God is worthy of all praise and glory. He is the Creator. He is holy. He is loving, just, merciful, gracious and everything else that is good. He is infinite and wonderful.

Not only is God worthy of all glory, but the more I get my heart in line with that value, the better it is for me. The closer I come to loving the Lord my God with all of my heart and soul and strength and mind, the more I am blessed with an immunity to distress.

Since I am a 20th century American kind of guy, I like the ideas of personal autonomy, liberty, freewill and self-determination. The problem is that I am a limited and sinful human. My will is selfish. My outlook is short-sighted. My power is extremely limited. When I live for my own will and glory I always come up short. Even my successes are imperfect. My crashes are spectacular. My ability to control the world is nil.

In the rare and fleeting moments when I am surrendered to the love of God, however, I am able to soar above any potential problems of this world. When I want God's glory with all of my being, I have nothing to fear. I relax my grip and release myself, my possessions, my family and friends and even my freedom to God.

I tell Him to use them all for His glory in any way that He sees fit and in that moment, I am finally free of care. Here I know that life and death are already in His hands. Let them be for His glory. Painful things will still hurt, but there is comfort in knowing that God has a perfect sovereign plan and any pain will be for the best purpose in the universe - the glory of God.

In surrendering to God I find rest and peace. I couldn't control anything anyway - I now have turned it over to God, Who CAN! And I can be confident that He will handle every circumstance perfectly. He cares for my loved ones more than I do. He knows the end from the beginning. He is not warped by foolish pride and selfish ambition. He will make things turn out just like He wants them too - and I can trust Him with them all.

(1Pet 5:5-7) ¶ Likewise you younger people, submit yourselves to your elders. Yes, all of you be submissive to one another, and be clothed with humility, for
“God resists the proud,
But gives grace to the humble.”
6 Therefore humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt you in due time,
7 casting all your care upon Him, for He cares for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment