Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Beggars & Bunco Artists

I get a steady stream of beggars at my house. I have heard every imaginable hard luck story. It is striking that every single homeless vagabond that shows up - all of whom reek of cigarette smoke and have alcohol on their breath -

EVERY SINGLE ONE IS A BORN AGAIN CHRISTIAN!

They are all being persecuted or are under Satanic attack. None of them begs for a living. All of them have good hearts and are only looking for money to help their children. They all ask when our church has services, because they will attend next weekend, for sure. None of them drinks or smokes. They all belong to some church somewhere in North Carolina - I could call their pastor if I wanted. They just need help for tonight. The first of the month is coming and they will get their check. They will be sure to pay me back then.
(1Peter 2:19-20) For this is commendable, if because of conscience toward God one endures grief, suffering wrongfully. For what credit is it if, when you are beaten for your faults, you take it patiently? But when you do good and suffer, if you take it patiently, this is commendable before God.

Persecution does happen. The Bible warns that everyone who even wants to life a godly life in Christ Jesus will certainly face persecution. (2Tim. 3:12)

But it is also true that behaving badly will bring about bad results.

These beggars at my door are certainly pitiful. Their stories are heart-rending recitals of terrible tragedy. But my honest opinion is that they have brought their miseries on themselves. They are drunken, drug dazed, immoral, promiscuous, thieves and con artists. They take advantage of every program that is offered - state, federal and local. They run the circuit of churches - approaching each one in turn to get whatever they can.

Do any of these folks want to live "godly in Christ Jesus?" I don't think so. I talk to them. They are offended that I suggest they are not already the epitome of Christian living. They offer to give me my money back - lest I think they are professional beggars or bunco artists. They are only there because they are in a real jam. They are only thinking of others - usually their children. They have pneumonia - double pneumonia. They just got out of the hospital. Their relatives have just died. They were robbed. They had to leave home because of abuse. They are willing to work!

Actually, they have rejected God and His claims on their lives. They live without restraint. They live for their own pleasures. They live for the moment and so they live from hand to mouth. Their life is hard - no doubt. But it is all because of their own evil choices.

Should I help them? I have in the past. (I'm a pushover.) But I've come to the conviction that I am only enabling them to live ungodly lives. If they can find enough money for booze and cigarettes - they have more money than they need already. Enough is enough.
(Psalms 37:25) I have been young, and now am old; Yet I have not seen the righteous forsaken, Nor his descendants begging bread.

1 comment:

  1. As your daughter, and after seeing you deal with this first hand for my entire life...I'd like to soften this post a tad...by pointing out the many many times I've seen you help those in honest need by providing food, money, bills paid, etc. You have always been ready to assist those who truly were willing to work...but what showed was much of what you shared in this post...that they were playing a game, a circuit, and juggling down a dangerous road to hell. I have no doubts you will continue to help those in TRULY dire need, not those just panhandling for a living. Sadly, they find this time of year a perfect opportunity to get ahead upon other's Christmasy generous spirits. I share with you in my heart the desire to help them (the stories of even the obvious cons are sad) but for the physical and spiritual safety of everyone...I agree...enough is enough.

    ReplyDelete