Tuesday, December 14, 2010

The Nice Thing About Being Sick

(James 5:13 NKJV) ¶ Is anyone among you suffering? Let him pray. Is anyone cheerful? Let him sing psalms. 
 I have been struggling with a sinus infection for almost a week now.  It isn't any fun.  My nose is sore.  My head aches.  My ears are ringing (well - they always do - but now it's worse.)  My eyes hurt.  I am having trouble breathing through my nose.

So, what's good about this, you may ask?
  1. It may be unpleasant, but it is not serious.  Many people have worse problems than this.
  2. It may be unpleasant, but it is temporary.  A week from now it will be forgotten - no doubt.  
  3. It is unpleasant, but it is not completely disabling.  I can still make phone calls.  I can still study.  I can still do most of my normal work at almost my normal pace.
  4. Because it is unpleasant, it is an occasion for gratitude that MOST of the time I don't have this problem.  I praise the Lord that most of the time I don't have pain in my sinuses and I can breath through my nose without thinking about it!
  5. Another benefit is that this minor suffering of mine makes me more empathetic about the sufferings of other people - some of whom face much more serious and chronic problems.
  6. Because I didn't feel well yesterday, I avoided some of my normal work by cleaning off my desk and getting rid of various stacks of paper and books in my study.  If I had felt well, I would have probably procrastinated that work for another month or so.

So praise the Lord for everything.  Are you well?  Praise the Lord!  Are you sick?  Praise the Lord! 
(1 Thessalonians 5:18 NKJV) in everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.

1 comment:

  1. These might make you smile...I saw these tags made to attach to gifts of Kleenex boxes...
    "American's Softest Tissue For America's BIGGEST BABY! Get well soon Dad!"
    "Here's hoping you won't need the WHOLE BOX! Get Well Soon"
    AND MY FAVORITE...
    "Moms aren't supposed to get sick, you get well this instant!"
    "Sorry you're sick Mom. What's for dinner?"

    ReplyDelete