Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Our Strong Tower

(Proverbs 18:10–11 NKJV)  The name of the LORD is a strong tower; The righteous run to it and are safe.
11 The rich man’s wealth is his strong city, And like a high wall in his own esteem. 
Some people - even many people - think that they are secure because of their money and possessions.  But in fact, our only real security is the name of the Lord.  If the LORD doesn't save us, nobody can.
(Psalms 18:2 NKJV)  The Lord is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer; My God, my strength, in whom I will trust; My shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.
I picture the people of a medieval village running for the safety of the castle tower when raiders are headed their way.  They are not foolish enough to try to fight it out.  They just run to the safety of the fortress.  That is exactly what we should do.
(Proverbs 29:25 NKJV)  The fear of man brings a snare, But whoever trusts in the Lord shall be safe.
 Why do we do the things we do in the way we do them?  Why do we speak the truth, or not?  Why do we tell people the gospel, or not?  Why do we do the right thing, or not?  Isn't it true that when we are afraid we tend to shrink back from our better intentions?
(Psalms 56:11 NKJV)  In God I have put my trust; I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?
The things of this world are temporary and we are corrupted by sin. No matter how much wealth we accrue, it will never bring us the security we crave.  Trust in the LORD!
(Hebrews 13:5 NKJV) ¶ Let your conduct be without covetousness; be content with such things as you have. For He Himself has said, “I will never leave you nor forsake you.”

No comments:

Post a Comment