Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Missing Opportunities

(1 Peter 3:15 NKJV) But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts, and always be ready to give a defense to everyone who asks you a reason for the hope that is in you, with meekness and fear;
I like to think that I am pretty evangelistic.  I pray for opportunities to talk to people about my faith in Jesus Christ.  I deliberately go to places where I think I will have a chance to talk to people about Jesus Christ.  I read books on talking to people about Jesus Christ.  I preach to other people about talking to people about Jesus Christ.  I get excited when I do have a conversation with somebody about Jesus Christ.

I sure blew it last night!  I had the perfect chance to talk to someone and I just flat out dropped the ball!  My wife and I went grocery shopping at Walmart.  We gathered our groceries and various items.  We went through the checkout and had a nice conversation with the woman there.

Then, on our way out, we realized we hadn't been charged for eight of the nine storage containers we wanted to buy.  So - no problem - I go back into the store to speak to the woman at the checkout. 

Talk about your golden opportunities!  Her line was suddenly EMPTY.  The light was on, but nobody was lining up and waiting on us.  I showed her the receipt - she put in the code and charged me for eight more containers - I paid for them.  STILL nobody in line!  She thanked me for coming back and being honest....

...and I didn't take the chance to say, "I am a follower of Jesus Christ - He has changed my heart and I want to please Him in everything I do."

I didn't say anything about Jesus Christ at all.  I just smiled and mumbled something meaningless and left the store, kicking myself all the way.  I can't stand it!  It is TERRIBLE!

So what happened?
  • I didn't plan it as I went back into the store.
  • I didn't think of an answer fast enough when the door opened.
  • I was too willing to steal God's glory for a good deed!
  • I was too lazy to take the time & energy at the end of a long day!
  • I was a pathetic tongue tied fumbler!  Ahhhhhhhhhh!
Now I am very very sorry.... but it doesn't really help.  I didn't love that woman enough to get the gospel to her when I had a wide open opportunity.  I didn't love the Lord enough to give Him the honor and glory He deserved in that situation.

I've missed a chance that cannot be recovered.  But I can learn from it.  By God's grace I won't miss another one like that!  Lord, forgive me and help me!
(1 Peter 3:15 NKJV) But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts, and always be ready to give a defense to everyone who asks you a reason for the hope that is in you, with meekness and fear;

1 comment:

  1. I feel your pain. Thanks to you, I now can't enter the checkout without sweating over what I'm going to say...so that I don't by default say, "Have a nice day...go to hell!"

    Seriously, it's been the kick I needed to truly evangelize. Who says going to the grocery store can't give you an adrenaline rush!?

    But...I think I my pride gets tired of being the "religious weirdo"...and I just get tired in general. Sigh...

    ReplyDelete