Monday, February 3, 2014

The Secret Cure For Self Pity

I believe root of self-pity is pride. I feel sorry for myself when I think I deserve better than I've received.

The cure for self-pity is to realize what I really deserve (the wrath of God against my sin) and to remember what I got instead (a new heart, a new birth, forgiveness and eternal life.) From there I can go on counting up the many blessings I have received and continue to receive day by day.

Another cure for self-pity is to focus on other people and to try to comfort them in their times of trouble. Today I get to make a couple of calls - one in a hospital and one in a nursing care facility. While talking with these people about their situations and their fears, my own concerns fade into the background of my thinking. I go to be a blessing and I am blessed myself.

God is SOOOOOOO good!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks again for another insightful post on how we should live our lives and give thanks to the Almighty Creator. I am sure that you made their day by giving them attention. I know you already know this, but God would be very proud. If only more people could take time out of their day and help others with their personal needs. You always find strength through Christ to help one another, which is exactly the word Jesus left for us to live by. Amen and have a nice day

    ReplyDelete