Friday, February 6, 2009

Caught Up?

(Proverbs 6:6-9) Go to the ant, you sluggard! Consider her ways and be wise,
7 Which, having no captain, Overseer or ruler,
8 Provides her supplies in the summer, And gathers her food in the harvest.
9 How long will you slumber, O sluggard? When will you rise from your sleep?

I was so proud of myself. I got some work done and looked at my watch - it was only 10:00 AM. What great productivity!

But then I realized that I was now only 24 hours behind my schedule for that piece of work. I normally have it done a full day earlier.

But was I a sluggard? I hope not.

Sometimes creative work doesn't flow out of study like you might wish it would. You may do the study diligently enough, but the creative complement might not show up right away. Besides that, life is sure to throw you some unexpected turns during the week and that throws you off schedule.

But was I a sluggard? Maybe sometimes. It is easy to fall into entertaining pursuits instead of work pursuits. How often do I need to check my e-mail? How long should I spend reading the news?

Go to the ant... and be wise!

Keep plugging away and the work will be done. Go to sleep and it will remain unfinished.

No comments:

Post a Comment