Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Go Ahead And Cry

I sigh a big sigh...
I know that big boys don't cry.
But I don't know why!

Our lives are full of stress, fear, anxiety, pain, and uncertainty. We can't sleep. We can't concentrate. We can't accomplish even a fraction of the things we should. The pressure builds up until we feel like our hearts or heads are going to explode!

We keep on plugging away - but the more we plug - the less well we do. Life becomes a monotonous routine of shocks to our system as we bounce from crisis to crisis in every direction. At work, at home, in the community and even in church the tension builds up and our spirits are crushed within us.

We wonder how we will make it through another day... even one more problem...

I say we should go ahead and cry.
Crying is natural. Crying is therapeutic. Crying brings a release that cannot be had in any other way. "Big boys don't cry," but maybe we need to become little children every now and then.

I am not recommending that you just burst into tears at every challenge. I do not mean that you should resort to tears during business meetings or even in any public setting.

What I mean is that we should not be afraid to unload all of our burdens to God. We should regularly admit our complete childlike dependence on God. We should be unashamed of tears in His presence.

Pour out your heart to your Heavenly Father! Cry out to Him and tell Him your fears, your uncertainties, your anxieties, your failures! You are weak - but He is strong! Cry out to Him to rescue you. Hold your arms out to Him and He will embrace you. Cry on Him as you contemplate your problems.

He is our Father. He doesn't want us to be self controlled and businesslike in our prayers. He doesn't want us to be reserved. He wants us to show childlike faith and to completely abandon ourselves to His care. This is faith.

David cried...
(Psalms 6:6) I am weary with my groaning; All night I make my bed swim; I drench my couch with my tears.
(Psalms 39:12) “Hear my prayer, O LORD, And give ear to my cry; Do not be silent at my tears; For I am a stranger with You, A sojourner, as all my fathers were.
(Psalms 42:3) My tears have been my food day and night, While they continually say to me, “Where is your God?”

David knew God cared about his tears...
(Psalms 56:8) You number my wanderings; Put my tears into Your bottle; Are they not in Your book?
(Psalms 116:8) For You have delivered my soul from death, My eyes from tears, And my feet from falling.

David knew that tears were not the end, but the beginning...
(Psalms 126:5) Those who sow in tears Shall reap in joy.

When Jesus was facing the cross He cried out in anguish of heart and He sweated blood! Why do we think we need to show a reserve before our loving Heavenly Father when we are facing difficulties? Go ahead and cry!!!

Could it be that we are too proud to cry before God?

No comments:

Post a Comment