Thursday, May 27, 2010

Crucified With Christ

Paul sharply warns the Galatians about false gospels in which people suppose they will help save themselves through their own efforts (i.e., keeping the law, being circumcised, etc.)

In 2:16 the apostle packs a sandwich with the basic message... "we are saved by faith alone." The inability of the law to bring righteousness is the bread for the sandwich. On the top,"...a man is not justified by the works of the law..." and on the bottom, "...not by the works of the law; for by the works of the law no flesh shall be justified." The middle is the meat. We are justified, "...by faith in Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Christ Jesus, that we might be justified by faith in Christ..."

Do you get the point? You are a sinner. You deserve the punishment of death for your sin. You cannot make yourself righteous. You need a substitute righteousness. You cannot save yourself. You need to get out of the way and let Jesus save you - and this is accomplished by your identification with Christ.
(Galatians 2:20) I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me.
My sins are atoned for in Christ's crucifixion. The righteousness I needed comes from Christ. My old life is done away and my new life is empowered by Christ in me. Now I live a life of faith in Christ.

The self should be executed: "I am crucified with Christ..."
(Galatians 5:24) And those who are Christ’s have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires.

(Galatians 6:14) But God forbid that I should boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world.
But now I should be yielded to Christ: "It is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me..."
(Galatians 5:25) If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.
How should we live? Think about Christ Jesus. Perfectly obedient. Pure. Wise. Zealous. Gentle. Kind. Forthright. He condescended to serve sacrificially. Truthful. Courageous.

Wow! Haul my stinking sinful carcass out of here and let Jesus show up in my life!

No comments:

Post a Comment