Monday, May 17, 2010

The Glory of the LORD

(Isaiah 42:8) I am the LORD, that is My name; And My glory I will not give to another, Nor My praise to carved images.

We cannot comprehend God, we can only believe what He has chosen to reveal about Himself. But since we are rebellious creatures who naturally exalt ourselves above God, we are always tempted to limit God to an image that we CAN comprehend. Infinity? Eternity? Trinity? Sovereignty? Revelation? They are beyond our ability and even beyond our imagination so we modify them (or reject them) so that our god is comprehensible.

But the gods we create do not exist. The gods we create are not worthy of worship. The gods we create are not able to save. The gods we create are tame and lame products of our imaginations. The religions we develop around these gods are anemic, watered down, pale shadows of what the God of the Bible requires.
(Psalms 50:21–22) These things you have done, and I kept silent; You thought that I was altogether like you; But I will rebuke you, And set them in order before your eyes. “Now consider this, you who forget God, Lest I tear you in pieces, And there be none to deliver:

1 comment: