Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Obscurity Endures!

The Frank & Earnest comic from 9/14 shows them sitting on a park bench with a dazed look on their faces.  Frank is speaking.  "Fame is fleeting... but obscurity just drags on and on."

Ha, ha, ha!  That is exactly right!  I will print that out and post it on my study wall.

I am sure that I am not the only person in the world who was ever bothered by his obscurity.  Human pride shouts, "Look at ME!"  I am special!  I am talented!  I am strong!  I am smart!  I am special!  We spend our time jumping up and down and shouting (one way or another) hoping that people will notice us and we will rise from obscurity to fame.

Is there any evidence?

What about blogging?  Here I am blogging!  Why am I blogging?  Well, I have some ideas to share - things I think could be helpful to thinking people.  Do I care at all if anyone reads my blog?  You know I do - and so do ALL bloggers and tweeters and facebook posters.

Nobody wants to be obscure!  We want millions of followers!  We want fame and fortune.  We want our own reality show!  We want to win "America's Got Talent!"

We had better get over it!
(James 4:6) ¶ But He gives more grace. Therefore He says: “God resists the proud, But gives grace to the humble.”
Fame and obscurity are relative terms.  If you are consumed with a desire for fame, you will never be satisfied, no matter how famous or infamous you become.  (Consider the incredible, self-destructive, made for the tabloids lives of many famous people.  Too much is never enough!)

You may feel you are obscure - but you are the most important person in someone's life.  Everyone has a sphere of influence in which they affect people's lives.  A kind word or a smile from you can make someone's day.  Your service to the people you know might be the best thing that happens to them this week.  You are famous in their lives.  You are a blessing to them.

No, you are not likely to be a household name around the world.  (Be thankful!  Who wants that kind of responsibility?)  I am convinced that 75% of the two dozen hits on my blog each day are just computer robots!  (That explains why they never leave comments.  Sad - just two dozen hits and most are not even real people!)

Oh, well.  I hope that what I have written is an encouragement to those of you who are real people!  That is the secret - do your best to be helpful to the people in your circle of influence.  Don't worry about the fame that this world has to offer.  As Frank says, "Fame is fleeting..."

But God knows who you are.
(2 Timothy 2:19) Nevertheless the solid foundation of God stands, having this seal: “The Lord knows those who are His,” and, “Let everyone who names the name of Christ depart from iniquity.”

1 comment:

  1. Well, a post like that needs a comment! *smiles* I love you Daddy! I find your blogs most helpful...makes sense since you are one of those "most influential" people in my life!

    ReplyDelete