Friday, January 27, 2012

Peace & Tranquility

Do you long for peace and tranquility?

Birds singing (not too loudly.) Gentle breezes blowing (warm, but not too hot.)  Sunshine (filtered through nice big trees.) Nothing urgent on your calendar. No cell phone. No traffic. No work to be completed. No sales pitches confronting you. No danger.

A hammock would be nice too - rocking gently.

Sweet peace!

Does this describe your life?

No?

Mine either!

But, I do have peace!


Jesus said, "Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.” (Matthew 11:28–30) 

In Jesus I've found rest for my soul. In spite of the fact that I could never do enough to be right with God, I have peace with God through my Lord, Jesus Christ (Romans 5:1).  I can rest in the finished work of Jesus.  In Him I have complete peace and safety.

What other kinds of peace do I have?

Well, "The fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, PEACE, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law" (Galatians 5:22–23).

As I learn to put down the works of the flesh, I find that my relationships with others are much more peaceful as the Holy Spirit guides me into these universal virtues.  The lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes and the pride of life are the source of all kinds of turmoil - especially interpersonal turmoil, but the fruit of the Spirit brings peace.

Jesus said, "Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid" (John 14:27).

I have the peace of knowing that Jesus has everything under control. He knows where I am. I am under his protection. He is coming back for me. Nobody can thwart his purposes. I am safe and sound in his care.

Peace, sweet peace!

No comments:

Post a Comment