Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Sweet Rest While Blogging

Blogging for me is a leisure activity. If I don't blog one day or another, you can pretty much count on the fact that I am wildly busy.

This raises the question of why I am blogging right now, since I am buried with work projects - all of which have rapidly approaching deadlines. The answer is that since I have been "ON" every hour of every day for the past week and I only got about 4 hours of sleep last night, I am too fried to work right this moment.

This blog is a substitute for a nap. (Maybe I should go ahead and take a nap... who wants to read a blog by someone who is mentally fried?)

Two blog ideas came to mind this morning.
1) In Genesis 11 God confuses the languages to keep people from banding together against Him. I wonder if this could be why most churches are so small. God knows that when people band together it is rarely for the good. The bigger we are the bigger our influence for evil. At least the effects of our errors are magnified.

2) It seems to me that the churches have slid away from a passion for precision and purity in doctrine and practice over my 50 plus years. Pretty much anything goes. "Let's all find the least common denominator and ignore everything else." "Let's not worry at all about standards of godly living and purity > different strokes for different folks." So many churches don't talk much about serious doctrine - it might divide (and shrink) the church. "Let's all just feel good together in the name of Jesus."

No comments:

Post a Comment