Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Decaffeinated

Once again I am decaffeinating myself.  I've done it before.  I knew what to expect.  I took it slowly and now I'm down to just one precious cup of delicious coffee at breakfast.

There are many potential advantages.
  • I have been reminded of how to spell "decaffeinate."
  • I don't feel jumpy or jittery - very calm and peaceful.
  • My precision pistol shooting has improved - less shaking, I suppose.
  • I have cut back on grocery expenses - three scoops instead of four each morning.

But it is a DRAG to go through.
  • I LIKE coffee - I REALLY, REALLY like coffee.
  • I've had to endure a few minor headaches as I've "dried out."
  • I am "dragging my wagon" these days - feeling a little bit subdued.
  • The weather is cold and rainy - I sure would like a cup of coffee!
  • Tea (decaffeinated of course) is thin and pale compared to coffee.

My coffee use (like so many things) sort of sneaked up on me slowly.  I had a cup with Lola at breakfast and another during my devotions.  (Coffee drinkers know that "a cup" is really a mug that holds at least two cups.)  Then I would make a full 12 cup (6 mug) pot of coffee in the morning because our son MIGHT want a cup. 

But he rarely did - and I would drink the extra - my third.  And - on a summer's afternoon an iced coffee would be good!  That would involve another 16-24 oz. of coffee.  Or if I had a breakfast meeting with someone I would drink coffee at home with Lola AND have coffee at the restaurant.  Or, if it was Sunday, I could get another cup of coffee in the fellowship hall before Sunday School!  Or, if I had a lunch meeting at Panera Bread, I could get good coffee there too.  Things were really hopping - and so was my heart rate, I'm sure.

Then, a few weeks ago, I went to Dublin, OH for an eye exam.  The doctor dilated my eyes - and I wanted to wait for the effects to wear off before heading home on a sunny day.  So I waited at a nice coffee shop where I drank down three big mugs of strong coffee.  This on top of my normal three mugs of coffee at home.  Way too much.

That's the week that I decided I needed to get a grip.  And now I am down to one cup of coffee a day - and I'm glad - a little groggy, but glad.  I'll be better off for the change - I'm sure.
(1 Corinthians 6:12) ¶ All things are lawful for me, but all things are not helpful. All things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any.

1 comment:

  1. FYI---I linked you into my Caffeinatedly Random post today! Love you!!

    ReplyDelete