Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Husband of the Year?

I like to congratulate myself for being the "Husband Of The Year." The idea is that I do nice things for my wife... that I pack her lunch, write her love notes, give her gifts, and do helpful things around the house and treat her tenderly.

I figure that Lola should think I am the best husband in the world. But no one who does nice things for his wife really deserves a prize. When we have done them all, we are still only a pale (and cracked) reflection of Christ.
(Ephesians 5:25) Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ also loved the church and gave Himself for her,
Christ gave Himself to the church with infinite condescension and infinite sacrifice. He expects me to love my wife with all of my energy and imagination by giving myself to her. To do less is not really an option. Maybe some people don't, but that doesn't mean I should be congratulated for doing the right thing. What was I thinking?
(Ephesians 5:28-29) So husbands ought to love their own wives as their own bodies; he who loves his wife loves himself.
29 For no one ever hated his own flesh, but nourishes and cherishes it, just as the Lord does the church.
Being a "great husband" is its own reward. Lola is me! We are one! Any ministry to her is a ministry to myself. To serve her is to serve myself.

I'm not talking about "I'll scratch your back if you'll scratch mine." What I mean is that it thrills my heart to bless her. It is satisfies me to see her smile. It is my delight to delight her. We are tied together in ways that I don't fully understand. If I selfishly tried to please myself at her expense I would be withering my own soul.

I love loving my wife! How I praise God for her!

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, ya'll have been saps for as long as I can remember. Eww! HA HA! I'd like you to develop this thought...how it motivates a right attitude,like when you'd rather eat dirt than say something nice, for example. As you know, I feel this should be a future book. I'll write the forward!

    ReplyDelete