Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Thanksgiving #3

(Luke 18:11-12) The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, “God, I thank You that I am not like other men—extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this tax collector.
12 I fast twice a week; I give tithes of all that I possess.’
Thanksgiving can be a mask for pride. People can express thanks as a way of bragging. "I thank God that I am so good. I thank God that I am so smart. I thank God that I am so wonderful."

Genuine thanksgiving, however, comes from our sense of unworthiness and inability. It is an "attitude of gratitude" that bubbles up in praise to God.

BE THANKFUL:
  • For salvation, because we are ungodly sinners - saved by grace alone.
  • For your marriage, because it is a testimony to God's selfless love.
  • For your children, because they are unique creations of God - we are only God's palette.
  • For ministry, because we are unworthy to serve God and impotent in our strength.
  • For your livelihood, because our health, strength & opportunity to work are from God.
  • For your freedoms, because God raises and throws down kingdoms according to His plan.
  • For life, because God gives us every moment, every heartbeat, every breath.
(James 1:16-17) Do not be deceived, my beloved brethren.
17 Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and comes down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shadow of turning.

No comments:

Post a Comment